5 Things to know about Arm Lifts
A brachioplasty, commonly known as an arm lift, is an increasingly popular procedure for men and women are tired of seeing drooping skin, fat, and tissue on the upper arms. Excess skin can come about as a result of significant weight loss or as a natural consequence of age but can be repaired with this custom surgical procedure.
Because arm lifts aren’t as commonly understood as some other procedures, many people have questions – so, here are the answers to five frequently asked questions about brachioplasty!
1. How do I prepare for arm lift surgery?
While everyone has different circumstances and conditions, some critical steps to take in the weeks before a brachioplasty are:
- Get a medical evaluation to ensure the procedure is right for you
- Ensure that your weight is stable, and you aren’t continuing to lose weight that could result in further drooping skin
- Discuss any medications you may be taking with your surgeon to ensure your safety during surgery
- Stop smoking
- Avoid any drugs and supplements that can increase bleeding, such as ibuprofen, aspirin, and various herbal supplements. Discuss all medications, supplements, and herbs you take with our surgeon ahead of time to make sure nothing gets missed.
2. Are there any risks?
Like any surgical procedure, a brachioplasty does have a slight degree of risk. Some complications that have arisen from brachioplasties in the past include anesthesia risks, infections, excessive bleeding, and some others. You will be informed of all risks before your surgery. According to studies done on patients who underwent brachioplasty, complications were rare, and the procedure is very safe when performed correctly.
3. What are some tips for a smooth recovery?
When you arrive for brachioplasty at Stephens Plastic Surgery, you will be given detailed instructions for the aftercare and limitations of movement needed to ensure a proper recovery. There are, however, some key points to keep in mind:
- Rest: Your body will heal naturally after the procedure, and your main activity should be rest. You should prepare for at least a week after your procedure to be filled with a lot of resting and relaxation to let your body get “over the hump” on the healing process before doing anything that might tax it.
- Follow your surgeon’s instructions: There are exact steps you need to take as far as cleaning, dressing, and otherwise caring for your arm after surgery. Following these exactly will greatly help your recovery and avoid complications.
- Avoid strenuous motion and exercise: Your surgeon will provide you with a timeline regarding when you should start to use your arm again for anything strenuous – follow that and don’t start anything too soon.
- Wear your compression garment: After the surgery, you will be provided with a compression garment for your arm to help with the healing process. Wear it as much as you can and follow your surgeon’s instructions.
- Report anything unusual to your surgeon: If you notice any excessive bleeding, unusual pain, sensation, or anything that concerns you, alert your surgeon right away. Any complications that arise can be resolved easily if caught early enough, so don’t be shy!
4. Can I build muscle following my Brachioplasty?
Yes! In fact, we recommend our brachioplasty patients to engage in light arm exercises and gradually build up muscle in the arm once it is fully healed. There is no limit to how fit and toned you can get your arms after an arm lift.
5. How much do Arm Lifts usually cost?
While each patient has different needs, and the procedure is always quoted individually, you can expect an arm list to cost in the range of $5,000.
Why Choose Dr. Stephens for arm lift surgery?
Dr. Stephens is a premier plastic surgeon in the Baton Rouge area. He is a board-certified surgeon with decades of experience, and he is personally dedicated to helping his patients achieve overall health and wellness and looking their best. Our facility is fully accredited and has been designed for optimal patient comfort and care, so call us today at (225) 754-4983 or contact us through our website to schedule a consultation to start your journey.